Wednesday, September 22, 2010

back at work, back to being the jack of all trades

The first thing I do when I get to work of a morning, like most people these days, is open my email. It confused me when I opened my email and instead of getting Thunderbird, I got the Outlook that I've been supposed to be getting for the past year or so. Then I went to open one of my shortcuts and got an 'Error: this file location does not exist' or something along those lines. Apparently our server got replaced over the weekend so that it now works properly and with full versions of programs. That is awesome, except that as it turns out, no one in my office knows much about IT, and so I spent the morning putting people's signatures back into their Outlooks and re-shortcutting documents from our file server. Yes, they had been working since Monday without proper signatures on their emails and apparently not knowing how to access half the files. The dumbest thing is, I'm sure most of them would actually know how to do these things if they didn't know they had me to do it. Now, my fun task for the next week is to move all our files from one set of folders to another so that they're better catalogued. This is what I spent five years at university for. Awesome.

I spent last night writing up some goals for the next six months, the next year and the next ten years to try and motivate some change in my life. Will be interesting to see how I go with that.

On the music front, I'm going to spend tonight moving files from my old computer to my new one, so that I can install the driver for my interface onto my new laptop and start getting some demos done on there. Next stop is a portable hard drive so that I don't run the risk of losing things should my laptop crash. Then it's on to working on songs for my next gig in two weeks and getting back into the swing of actually doing my scales every day.

No comments: